How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed my taxes every year (both state and local0 but for ...

Resolved Question:

I filed my taxes every year (both state and local0 but for 2006 I filed Federal only. I did not file for Alabama state. Can I rectify this or have I done something illegal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello lynda,

Yes, this can be rectified. You have not done anything illegal, but you do need to file this past due return.

You simply need to file the return for the year 2006 and send it in with any tax payment that might be due. Alabama does charge a late filing fee on all returns. The amount of the fee is 10% of the total tax due or $50, whichever is greater. The minimum amount of $50 will be assessed, even if no additional tax is due with your return. If you owe additional taxes, there may also be some interest charged assessed to the amount you owe.

So other than possibly owing the state some money, you will not be in any legal trouble over the late filing of this return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.


Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions