Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What requirement exists for PR in taxing bodies

Customer Question
We have local taxation by...
We have local taxation by an at-large elected school board with membership dominated by individuals from wards characteristically distinguished by high income.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

Unfortunately there really are no rules or requirements that dictate proportional representation for any taxing bodies, unless there is something specifically written in the by-laws of the individual school or taxing district that makes this a requirement.

If you feel that representation among the school board members is biased due to membership coming characteristically from wealthy wards, then your best recourse at this point would be to start a petition drive among the individuals affected by this local taxation, and present the petition to the President of the school board, along with a copy to your local alderman and to your local state representative.

Since the school board members that you refer to are "elected" members, it may make it more difficult to actually have any of the members removed from their position, since they were not appointed by any one person or any one group. However, hopefully by filing a petition, before the next election term comes around, they may change the by-laws in such a way to ensure that all of the wards have a chance at equal representation.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
I will accept, although I disagree. Both the federal and state constitutions req
I will accept, although I disagree. Both the federal and state constitutions require that taxes originate in the respective House of Representatives because those bodies are proportionally representative. I was looking to find whether someone was aware of specific constitutional language that requires proportional representation otherwise. The Virginian George Mason was a major force behind that principle. The individuals elected cannot repressent everyone, "virtual representation," as argued by the British in passing the Stamp Act. Rejection of "virtual representation" was what the American Revolution was about. Basically, the people who will pay a tax must be represented on the body that levies the tax. As Mentioned, I have been looking for specific language, although the principle seems pretty much widely accepted.
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant