How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you offset divdends by short term loss from a sale of stock

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.


After you use the short term losses for the year against any long term gain for the year you can use up to $3,000 of the capital loss to offset your ordinary income, such as dividends.

If your net capital loss is more than this $3,000 limit, you can carry the loss forward to later years to be used in the same manner in the later year.

See Topic 409 - Capital Gains and Losses for more details.

Best wishes.


jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to John Gordos EA's Post: what about dividends? example million dollar portfolio with a 4 percent divided which is taxed my at my ordinary do i offset that? would i be able to sell stock at a loss that would equal the divideds that paid out to offset?
Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.

Hello again,

Ordinary dividends are ordinary income so only 3,000 of capital loss can be used to offset that type of dividend income.

Some mutual funds have capital gain distributions which will be fully offset by capital losses.

For a four percent dividend on 1M there would be 40,000 of income. If it is all ordinary income you would only be able to use 3,000 to offset the dividend income.

I hope this helps to clarify for you.