Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We recieved money from an inheritance after my

Customer Question
grandmothers death in Germany. She...
We recieved money from an inheritance after my grandmothers death in Germany. She was a German citizen and we are American citizens. Do we have to pay taxes on it? How do we declare it as inheritance and not income? What forms do we need for tax time? We recieved documents from the estate lawyer in germany that decribe the distribution of the estate in germany.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
8/1/2008
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

gmgrant,

The US does not tax inheritances. The estate may be subject to tax in Germany, but that would be taken care of over there by the estate. You may have to report this on Form 3520 if the distribution was from a foreign trust or considered a gift and over $100K. Please let me know if this came from a trust and the amount of the monies received. Otherwise, you would not need to report this inheritance. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
They dissolved the estate and distributed money to us around 33,500 euro which roughly translated to $47,000. It was put into one bank account to be distributed to the siblings. My father is worried that the bank reported the money to the IRS since it was over $10,000 and that it would be construed as income and he would have to pay taxes on it.

gmgrant,

The bank may have indeed reported the transaction, but even if the IRS inquires about it, you have a valid explanation. You also have no reporting requirement. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, the IRS will most likely not come knocking, but if they do, you still have nothing to worry about. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent