Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What is a C S F Lumpsum payment??

Customer Question
What is a C S F Lumpsum payment??
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2008
Tax Professional: Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent

Hello there,

I assume that you are referring to the payment of benefits from a Civil Service Employee's annuity to a survivor. These benefits are paid through the US Civil Service Retirement System and will be reported on a form CSF 1099R.

Generally this type of lump sum distribution has a taxable portion and non-taxable portion for the recipient, but the 1099 form may not show what is taxable and what is not, but there are ways to determine this.

Publication 721 discusses these types of distributions and how to determine how much is taxable to the beneficiary. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p721.pdf

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent