Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

IS THERE A STATUE OF LIMITATIONS FOR 941 TAXES,FROM ...

Customer Question
IS THERE A STATUE OF...
IS THERE A STATUE OF LIMITATIONS FOR 941 TAXES,FROM 1996 AND PRIOR
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
7/27/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello Thomas,

Were 941 returns ever filed for these years, and the tax was just not paid in full. Or were the returns never filed at all?

RETURNS WERE FILED ONTIME , TAX UNPAID

Hello Thomas,

The statute of limitations for the IRS on collection of payroll taxes is 3 years from the date the taxes were assessed, which is generally April 15th of the year they were due or the actual date you filed the return, whichever is later.

Reply to Merlo's Post: I HAVE READ THE LIMIT IS 10YR,
BUT HAVE HEARD TALKSHOWS OF IRS STILL SIEZING PROPERTY AFTER THE 10 YRS, THEY STILL SEND BILLS FOR TESE ALSO

Hello again Thomas,

The statute of limitations for individuals who owe personal income tax is 10 years from the date the tax was assessed. For payroll taxes the statute of limitations is 3 years from the date the return was filed. That is the time they have to go after the business that was responsible for payment of the taxes.

When payroll taxes are not paid by the company then the IRS may go after any of the individuals who were responsible within the company for the payment of the taxes. That would then extend their statute of limitations to the 10 years since they are now not going after the business. But if the taxes were assessed in 1996, even going after the individuals responsible, the statute for collection would have expired in 2006.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thanks again.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant