How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i file exempt for one pay period to receive a ...

Resolved Question:

Can i file exempt for one pay period to receive a bonus check and then change my exemptions back for the remainder of the year?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

The Federal rate on bonus checks is 25% by law. They are also subject to SS and Medicare at 7.65%. Most states also stipulate a mandatory withholding rate on bonuses.

The reason for it is that in the past many taxpayers had too little withheld and wound up owing when they filed. Some would rush to the payroll office and put in an updated Form W-4 claiming 20 allowances to reduce the tax withheld from the bonus and then change it back once the bonus was paid. Congress changed the law a couple of years ago to stop that type of abuse.

It will all even out at tax time when you file your return. Sorry, but that's just the way that the laws are written.

If this was helpful, please press the Accept button.

Thank you.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you