Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If it is not clearly stated in the devorce papers who has ...

Customer Question
If it is not clearly...
If it is not clearly stated in the devorce papers who has the right to claim a dependant?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
7/3/2008
Tax Professional: Cassandra, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Hello and welcome to just answer.

If the divorce papers do not state who is to claim the child as a dependent then, you would follow the IRS rules of divorced parents.

The person that the child lives with for most of the year, would qualify that parent to claim the dependency.

If the child lives with both parents 50/50 then the determiniation would be in whom provided more of the childs costs for the year, this would include food, clothes, medical expenses and etc. Now, child support would not count in this. For example if the child was with you for ten months out of the year, and your spouse pays child support, then you would still be able to claim the child as a dependent.

These are the most important test in determination of child dependency. The IRS also allows the two of you to make an agreement on whom will claim the children, but if you can not agree then the above rules will make the determination.
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Cassandra
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer