Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We are putting in a POS system in our business in Ohio. I ...

Customer Question
We are putting in a...
We are putting in a POS system in our business in Ohio. I need to know what kind of sales tax on beer and liquor we need to program in so I will know what to pay. I am paying our county rate right now and with what I am reading I am over paying. Is beer and liquor the same rate as dine in food? With what I am reading beer is taxed by the gallon ( in a keg) so many ounces in a bottle, and liquor is also taxed by gallon. How do you figure out these formulas? The more I read the more I get confused. Our accountant is not real familar with taverns so I need some help. Also in process of looking for new accountant.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
7/3/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

The taxes that you are referring to that are based on a dollar amount per gallon are the excise taxes imposed by the state. The cost of those taxes are charged to the brewery or to the distillery before the product ever leaves their warehouse and are already included in the cost that you paid for your beer and liquor inventory. If you are making retail sales of liquor and beer in either a tavern or liquor store, you would charge the normal sales tax rate that is applied to any other product that is sold in your state and county.

If this answer was helpful, please press the Accept key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant