Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I pay medical bills for my son, who is living with ...

Customer Question
If I pay medical bills...
If I pay medical bills for my son, who is living with me,can I take them off my income tax?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2008
Tax Professional: RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 9 years ago
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Is he your dependent/ are you claiming him as your dependent? How old is he?
Reply to RD's Post: He is living with me and is 57 yrs old
I do not claim him as a dependent
He doesnt have insurance

If he is your qualifying dependent except for the joint income test or gross income test than you can claim medical expenses that you paid for him even if he is not claimed as dependent on your tax return.

To be claimed as a qualifying (dependent)relative, the person must meet five criteria:
Gross Income - The dependent earns less than $3,400 (for 2007) in income during the year,
Total Support - You provide more than half of the dependent's total support during the year,
Relationship - You are related to the dependent in certain ways,

To meet the relationship test, the dependent must either

• be related to the taxpayer is one of the ways which includes your child, or
  • live with the taxpayer for an entire year, and the relationship must not violate local laws

Joint Return - If the dependent is married, the dependent cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

Citizenship - The dependent must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States, Canada, or Mexico

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)