Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

i live in nj and worked in nj. 2 weeks ago, my job location ...

i live in nj and worked in nj. 2 weeks ago, my job location moved to ny, for the same company. i claim 1 single federal, and 1 single state. on my paycheck, ny taxes were taken out, and the total for taxes taken was an additional 100$. So, I received a 7700$ increase for going to ny, but looks like i will only see $40 every pay period...i am confused. what and where do i need to claim so i see the majority of the money now.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

Generally - as you work in NY - you should pay NY state taxes and your employer is obligated to withheld state taxes based on your work location.

As you are living in NJ - any income despite its source would be taxable in NJ. At the tax time - you will file NY state tax return as non-resident, and NJ state tax return as a resident. On your NJ tax return you will claim the credit for taxes paid to NY - so you would not have the same income taxed twice.

If you need me to estimate your withholding - please specify what is your gross pay and how are you paid - weekly/biweekly.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LEV's Post: I was at 59225. I received an increase to 67000. My taxes for previous pay period were 579. and for this pay period with increase, taxes were 681...check used to be for 1534 after tax, and with increase was 1574..so diff of only 40$ per pay period, (once every 2 weeks)
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

Assuming you files W4 as Single with 1 allowance and paid beweekly

from gross pay $59,225 in NJ your paycheck should be

Gross Pay -- $2,277.88
Federal Withholding -- $375.20
Social Security -- $141.23
Medicare -- $33.03
New Jersey -- $73.34
SUI/SDI -- $21.07
Net Pay -- $1,634.01

from gross pay $67,000 in NY your paycheck should be

Gross Pay -- $2,576.92
Federal Withholding -- $449.96
Social Security -- $159.77
Medicare -- $37.37
New York -- $140.24
NY SDI -- $1.20
Net Pay -- $1,788.38

I noticed $100 difference with what your check used to be for $1534 after tax - that may be because you have additional withholding such as health insurance, union dues, 401k, etc - please verify

Assuming all the same - the deference should be ~$150 per pay period - please verify numbers on your paycheck stub.