How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29570
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I am starting out as a tax professional and, I ...

Resolved Question:

Hello I am starting out as a tax professional and, I have a client who has been in business since 2006 and is just staring to look at filing his 1120S and state sales taxes. What do you recommend I do first?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

I would suggest to file taxes for the current year first - meant 2007 - especially - if the client have taxes due.

That would be easier to collect all required documents and information for the last year than for previous years. You may file an amended return if needed at the later time.

After that - you may start working on 2006 return - I suspect that you would have issues with some documents and information - so you would need to do estimates. Have client to sign that he/she is agree with estimates and that they would be corrected as soon as additional information will be available - that should be looked as you are helping client to complete the tax return as soon as possible and are not "making-up" any numbers that the client is responsible.

At the same time - you may help the client to set the books - that would be separate task - so at the 2008 tax time - you will be in the better position.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you