Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We have 3 MD Pediatrician owners of an S Corp. They are ...

We have 3 MD Pediatrician...
We have 3 MD Pediatrician owners of an S Corp. They are on-call at hospital 6 times per month and must examine babies within 24 hours of birth. If paged and the Dr. drives to hospital, examines baby then drives to work to see office patients, aren''t they allowed mileage from home to hospital? They have been told no, that they must subtract home to work mileage and can only claim the remainder. Also when combining other work-related trips on the way to work or home, what is appropriate to declare on mileage?
7/3/2008
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. We appreciate the opportunityto be of service to you.

The trip from their home to the hospital or office whichever happens 1st is classified as commuting and is not eligible.

When business and personal use you must separate the business and personal uses.

If you refer to the following link http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf especially page 16 uper left corner of the page "Business nd Personal Use"

Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer
Lou
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer