Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We are considering having products ,currently shipped

Customer Question
from locations within the U.S....
We are considering having products ,currently shipped from locations within the U.S., being directly shipped from our Mexican Location. What are (if any) the Import /Export Tax Effect I should consider?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
7/3/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Are products shipped to addresses in the US or all around the world?
Reply to LEV's Post: The United STates

The trade between Mexico and the US is regulated by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) that provides the free flow of merchandise (via customs) of many goods and services. It states that all custom tariffs should be lifted by 2008.

You may need a NAFTA certificate of origin ( issued by the exporter) because it identifies the materials as being covered by the terms of the NAFTA, and makes the shipment eligible for reduced duties. - http://www.fas.usda.gov/itp/Policy/NAFTA/rulesof.html

In Mexico, you should deal with an application for export/import ("pedimento") and must be registered as an exporter with the Federal Taxation authority of Mexico "Hacienda" (Secretariat of Hacienda and Public Credit ). In additional based on exported articles - you need to check if a license is required.

To export more than $1,000US - you must file for export with a customs broker licensed in Mexico.

You may find information about any specific article here - http://www.apectariff.org/ It is also published in Mexico's Duty Tariff Book.

For additional information on importing to the U.S. - contact the Trade Commission of Mexico - the World trade Center in Los Angeles, California - 350 S. Figueroa St, Suite 296, Los Angeles, California 90071 -(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The U.S. Census Bureau's Foreign Trade Division website can be used to classify products in the Harmonized System - http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/schedules/b/index.html. If you need help classifying your product, call the Census Bureau at(NNN) NNN-NNNN For current US import tariffs - http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/index.htm

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor