How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are considering having products ,currently shipped

Resolved Question:

We are considering having products ,currently shipped from locations within the U.S., being directly shipped from our Mexican Location. What are (if any) the Import /Export Tax Effect I should consider?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.
Are products shipped to addresses in the US or all around the world?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LEV's Post: The United STates
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

The trade between Mexico and the US is regulated by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) that provides the free flow of merchandise (via customs) of many goods and services. It states that all custom tariffs should be lifted by 2008.

You may need a NAFTA certificate of origin ( issued by the exporter) because it identifies the materials as being covered by the terms of the NAFTA, and makes the shipment eligible for reduced duties. -

In Mexico, you should deal with an application for export/import ("pedimento") and must be registered as an exporter with the Federal Taxation authority of Mexico "Hacienda" (Secretariat of Hacienda and Public Credit ). In additional based on exported articles - you need to check if a license is required.

To export more than $1,000US - you must file for export with a customs broker licensed in Mexico.

You may find information about any specific article here - It is also published in Mexico's Duty Tariff Book.

For additional information on importing to the U.S. - contact the Trade Commission of Mexico - the World trade Center in Los Angeles, California - 350 S. Figueroa St, Suite 296, Los Angeles, California 90071 -(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The U.S. Census Bureau's Foreign Trade Division website can be used to classify products in the Harmonized System - If you need help classifying your product, call the Census Bureau at(NNN) NNN-NNNN For current US import tariffs -

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you