How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a high school social studies teacher, specializing in ...

Resolved Question:

I am a high school social studies teacher, specializing in European History, and am about to leave on a trip to Europe. Is there anything about this trip that I could use to write off on my taxes?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

Hello CAZR,

Will you be conducting any business whatsoever while you are in Europe, such as attending a seminar or conference or taking a class? Or is this strictly a personal trip that has interest to you because of your teaching experience in European HIstory?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Merlo's Post: The trip is mainly for pleasure.
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

Hello Czar,

The tax law expressly prohibits deducting expenses for travel as a form of education or for reasons of pleasure only. Travel expenses for overseas travel are also more limited than expenses allowed for travel in the United States, but a portion of your trip has to include a business purpose. Your trip does not have to be entirely business to deduct a portion of the expenses, but you would have to have some legitimate business purpose included as part of your trip. If less than 75% of your foreign travel is related to business, your deductions are subject to limitations and allocation.

It does not sound like you would qualify to take any deductions if your trip is mainly for pleasure. If you were attending a class which helped improve your current skills, or attending a seminar or convention or something of that nature, then you would possibly be allowed to deduct a portion of your expenses.

If this was helpful, please press the Accept button.

Thanks and let me know if you have other questions.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you