How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name isXXXXXand my husband (Rafael Fuentes) ...

This answer was rated:

My name isXXXXXand my husband (Rafael Fuentes) owes child support and our tax refund from 2007 was taken alomost fully. The mother to his child is Judy Salaicia. She was to get $400.00 from our state and about $2500.00 from our federal and about $1000.00 from out incentive check. We are inquring when this is going to be taking affect. the social services office in our town says that these amounts are not in the computers yet except for the $400.00 state refund. My husbands child support papers that he gets in the mail says that he owes about $4500.00 and it should be somewhere around $1000.00 or less. Could you please let us know when this will be taking affect because Judy says that she got about $2000.00. Our e-mail address [email protected] and our phone numbers are XXX-XXX-XXXX and XXX-XXX-XXXX. Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Rafael Fuentes.

Dear XXXXXe,

This takes affect with in 30 days of when the offset paperwork is placed in the IRS system. however because of processing times of the refunds themselves and work loand, the actual transfer of money can take as long as 18 weeks to reach the mother.

By the way, you can ask the IRS to allocate the refund from your joint return, so that your portion of the refunds are not used for child support. You do this by submitting the following form:



Ed Johnson and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
We did fill out the form for injured spouse so we did get some of our federal and incentive. we just wanted to know when his child support amount owed would be getting smaller because it should be quite a bit smaller


This will get smaller eventually, but remember, it can take as long as 18 weeks to reach the recipient, and once she is paid, the HHS and child enforcement can then take penalties, interest, and administration charges. So, he may have at least one or two more lesser offsets.

Ed Johnson and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you