How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29656
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Like everyone else my property has dropped in value so much

This answer was rated:

Like everyone else my property has dropped in value so much that I cannot sell it. I plan on renting it but can only get a little over half what I pay in mortgage costs. I want to rent it and move to another place will I be able to get any kind of tax write off (based on my huge mortgage costs) for the loss on the condo due to rental since I will treat it as an investment?

If you convert the property into rental - you will report rental income and deductions on the schedule E -

If you would have losses from the rental activities - such losses are generally deductible, however some limitations may apply because rental real estate activities are considered passive activities. You may deduct up to $25,000 of net losses if your adjusted gross income is less than $100,000 ($12,500 and $50,000 for married filing separately) - please see details in the instructions page 2 - Any disallowed losses would be carried over to the next year.

let me know if any clarification needed.




Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you