How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can anybody tell me what the assistance is that ...

This answer was rated:

Can anybody tell me what the"assistance" is that the IRS can provide the UK revenue (HMRC) as outlined in the treaty. I understand that the IRS cannot enforce or collect a debt on behalf of HMRC but what is the assistance they can provide other than exchange information?

Dear delrosso,

The treaty includes an exchange of information agreement. The IRS can provide the UK information pertaining to your address, third party payers, and movement of money internationally. They can provide information that is contained in your U.S. tax return filed while you were overseas.

Ed Johnson and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you