Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We claim my mother-in-law as a dependant on our tax ...

Customer Question
We claim my mother-in-law as...
We claim my mother-in-law as a dependant on our tax returns. She turns 65 this August and is eligible for Medicare. She has not worked in the United States therefore does not get any Social Security benefits. While enrolling in Medicare, should we be looking at the household income (our income since we claim her as a dependant) to figure out the premimums for Medicare Part B? Or should we stop claiming her as a dependant. She has no source of income except for some unearned income from some mutual funds. Please advice asap.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
7/2/2008
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear ashley,

Can you tell me if she worked and paid into her home countries social security system?

and what country is that.

The U.S. has some recipricol social security tax agreements with countries, known as totalization agreements. i would like to see if the U.s. has a totalization agreement with her country; she might be able to get benefits under SS on her own.

in the mean time, to answer your initial question:

Use the income of the individual you are applying for. You will not be using family income. The reason is that eligibility and payments are based on the individual Modified Adjusted Gross Income. Since she is being claimed by you, she will loose the personal exemption, which means her MAGI will be more than it would be if she were claiming herself.

you state she has no income, but she does have some investment income.

The minimum premium is 25%.

Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: No she did not. We are from India. So in response to the initial question. Since we will be paying ALL THE Premimums, MEDICARE PART A, PART B, MEDIGAP and PRESCRIPTION PART D, can we continue to claim her as a dependant? or since her MAGI was selected and not the household income, we have to file a separate return for her. Her unearned investment income is less than $800.
Thanks

You can continue to claim her as a dependent on your income tax provided that she does not provide for more than 50% of her own support, under the other conditions you have stated.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer