How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where to find IRS work history?

Resolved Question:

My Mother recently asked for her IRS employment history. They have quite a few errors including her working for the now defunct Montgomery Wards. She worked as a retailer for them for 10 years and the IRS only has her down for 2 years. These errors are costing my mother much needed income. They said she would have to track down her W2''s from 40 years ago. Where would we ever be able to find them?

Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

It is unusual for someone to be required 40 years of W-2's and 1099's unless it dealt with social security.

The Social Security Administration can provide some work history report and reported earnings for your entire life.

You should also be able to get at least a partial third party payer report from the IRS.

to get copies of your SS report and copies of your W-2's please use the following instructions:

To get the third-party payer report contact the IRS at 800 – 829 – 1040 select option one and then option 4. Ask to speak to the department who can provide a third party payer report to determine prior year 1099 payers. (they should be able to give you at least 5 years’ worth).

To obtain a work history report, please check here:

Ed Johnson and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you