Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in Seattle WA and work from home around half the ...

Customer Question
I live in Seattle WA...
I live in Seattle WA and work from home around half the time (head office is also located in Seattle WA). My intention is to spend approx 4 months a year in a single block (Nov-Feb) down in California to escape the grey/cold winter weather. Would this make me a CA resident for tax purposes? Would I have to pay 4/12 of my income to CA as state income tax?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
6/25/2008
Tax Professional: Cassandra, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer.

If all your income is derived from Washington then you would not have to claim Ca State Income Tax, as you would not have any income from California. You would be considered a resident of Washington, if you keep a residence in Washington and keep your license in Washington, and a non-resident of California. Now, if you earn income in California then you would have to file to state income tax returns and pay income tax in California based on the length you were here and the amount of money you earned in California.
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Reply to Cassandra's Post: Would the same be true if I bought a condo there as well and used it for those same 4 months. What if I spent 6 months there (if we had a really bad winter which happens!)
The first major question is what is referred to as your domicile state. Your domicile state is the state where you may own a home, which state you would have a drivers license, where you vote and how much time you spend in each state. So let's say you buy a condo in California, and own one in Washington too. Then we would have to decide which is your primary state, Let us say you vote in Washington and keep your license in Washington, and get paid from Washington, then your residency would be Washington. However, you would also have to file Ca state income tax as a part year resident. You would most likely file a California State income tax first and figure what of your income is taxable to California. Then if Washington, had state income tax, you would be able to deduct the taxes paid in California from Washington Taxes. However, Wa, is a non-tax state and their fore you do not need to file in Washington. Your California Taxes will not be the for the full amount as it would be if you earned income from California.
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Cassandra
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer