How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe the IRS approximately 50,000 dollars. They have ...

Resolved Question:

I owe the IRS approximately 50,000 dollars. They have garnished my wages and they have a lien on my property. I have a signed purchase agreement on my home for sale. I have talked to a tax resolution agent, but they said that they would not be able to compromise a resolution before the sale of my home. I know that the remaining money above payoff will go to the IRS, but what kind of arrangement can be made after that, if my monthly expenses are not what they are now. Should I deal with this tax resolution agency or deal directly with the IRS.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

Hello Derek,

Under the circumstances, you will be better off to let a tax resolution agency work with you on this matter, rather than trying to deal directly with the IRS on your own. It sounds as though they are possibly trying to negotiate an "Offer in Compromise" on your behalf, which if accepted means the IRS would accept a lower amount than the entire $50,000 you say is due. They may also be trying to negotiate an acceptable payment plan.

The paperwork involved with these offers can be quite cumbersome. In addition, there are certain things that can help or hinder your chances of having such an offer accepted, and for that reason you are best to leave this in the hands of a tax consultant who has experience in this area, as it will increase your chances of having the offer accepted.

Unfortunately, even working with a tax consultant, these matters take time to go through the complete cycle. In the meantime, I know it must be an extremely stressful situation for you, but hopefully in the end they will be able to reach a settlement on your behalf.

Thanks for the question, and best of luck to you in getting this situation resolved.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you