How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cassandra Your Own Question
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 306
Experience:  8yrs experience in taxation for individuals. CTEC Registered and an Authorized E-filer with the IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Cassandra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a parent is giving an early inheritance to an adult ...

Resolved Question:

If a parent is giving an early inheritance to an adult child, what is the tax liability for the receipient? The amount is $150k.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Cassandra replied 9 years ago.
Hello Bobbie Grover and welcome to just answer.

A gift to the reciepient is not taxable income to the recipient. Now if we are talking about $150K in cash then the $150K would not be taxable, however if you were to invest the money in something that will earn you interest then the interest only will be taxable.

Gifts are taxable to the person giving the gift, however thier are exclusion for this too. First of All anyone can gift $12,000 to as many people as they want without causing themselves any gift tax. For example your mom can gift you $12,000 and your wife $12,000. Then your father could gift another $12,000 to each of you. Without any of this being taxable nor having to report any of this to the IRS. This is called gift splitting between the two parents.

Besides these methods their is also the Unified gift tax credit which can allow someone to gift up to $345,800 in a lifetime. A form 709 will have to be reported by the parents at tax time, but they will not have to pay gift tax if they don't use up thier total Unified gift tax credit.

Cassandra and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you