How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you owe back child support & you file your taxes ...

Resolved Question:

If you owe back child support & you file your taxes & you are getting money back, can they take my refund and apply it to back child suppot, even though they are taking money out of my Social Security check each money?
They take 65% of my social security each month.
Submitted: 9 years ago via RomingerLegal.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

If your child support debt is in collection status - yes - any tax refund you might expect will likely be garnished. That include regular tax refund and stimulus rebate check. You will receive a notice that states the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency.

That is according to the Treasury Offset Program authorized by Congress. Please see some details here -

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you