Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you owe back child support & you file your taxes ...

Customer Question
If you owe back child...
If you owe back child support & you file your taxes & you are getting money back, can they take my refund and apply it to back child suppot, even though they are taking money out of my Social Security check each money?
They take 65% of my social security each month.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
6/4/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If your child support debt is in collection status - yes - any tax refund you might expect will likely be garnished. That include regular tax refund and stimulus rebate check. You will receive a notice that states the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency.

That is according to the Treasury Offset Program authorized by Congress. Please see some details here - http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor