How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can you claim a mortgage on a long form if ...

Customer Question

can you claim a mortgage on a long form if only one spouse in on the loan?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.


I assume from your question that you are married and filing a joint return. If that is the case, then the answer to your question is yes, you can claim a deduction for mortgage interest, even if only one spouse is listed on that mortgage note. Filing a joint return in essence means that both spouses are reporting their individual incomes and/or expenses, regardless of which spouse incurred the expense or earned the income.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question!