How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29975
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My relative has owned an odd jobs business for ...

Resolved Question:

My relative has owned an odd jobs business for approximately 2 years. He really just recieved cash for the odd jobs he did. What kind of advice can I give him. I am concerned about him and I don''t want to see him get in trouble.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

First of all he need to file tax return - you will use schedule C for your self-employment income and expenses - and calculate your net income. You net income from self-employment is a subject for 15.3% self-employment taxes and should be calculated on schedule SE -

You will use 1040 form - for your tax return - following would be important entries:

  • line 7 - wages from W2 box 1 - if you also have a regular job.
  • line 12 - net business income from the Schedule C
  • line 27 - one-half of self-employment tax from the Schedule SE
  • line 58 - self-employment tax from the Schedule SE
  • line 64 - federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 box 2 and 1099misc box 4 (if any)

The key point is to determine qualified business expenses and to keep a good record.

What may be qualified expenses for him? Tools, materials, special clothes, safety items - glasses, boots, etc. Travel expenses - he might drive his car from place to place. Cell phone expenses - he likely getting customer's calls.

You may want to become familiar with the IRS publication 535 -

and the IRS publication 334 - - see chapter "Business Expenses"

To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your industry. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business.

You can deduct all of your travel expenses if your trip was entirely business related. If your trip was primarily for business and, while at your business destination, you extended your stay for a vacation, made a personal side trip, or had other personal activities, you can deduct your business-related travel expenses. Please see for reference IRS publication 463 -

Travel from home to your work place is always considered a commuting travel and not deductible. Please see IRS explanation here

<table border="0" cellspacing="4" cellpadding="0" width="110">graphicView Full Image

I would also suggest to look at the schedule C - - part II lines 8-28 - see the list of most common deductible business expenses.

Please let me know if any clarification is needed.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you