Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I move out of the state where I have a property (which I ...

If I move out of...
If I move out of the state where I have a property (which I can not sell because if the market condition) can I still file to IRS and deduct my mortgage?
For example, I have a house in NV however I live in AZ
I still pay for my mortgage in NV, and rent a room in AZ
Can I deduct my mortgage for the NV''s house?
6/3/2008
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

Yes, you can continue to deduct the mortgage interest on your home in Nevada. In general, the IRS allows you to deduct mortgage interest for your main home and a secondary home. This is still going to be considered your main home even though you may not currently be residing there.

If this has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Just a small question to make sure I got your answer right.. Should I change my mail address and notify IRS about relocation ? or Just change my mailing address in post office ? would this change anyhow affect the deduction on the mortgage interest for my main home ?

Hello againCustomer

It will not matter whether or not you change your address with the IRS. You will still be allowed this deduction. It would probably be best to change your address to be certain that you get any necessary correspondence from the IRS on a timely basis, and it will not affect your mortgage interest deduction whatsoever. Mortgage interest is deductible not only on your main home, but also on a second home (such as a vacation condo), so many people have one address with the IRS and yet take mortgage interest deductions for two residences.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant