Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

At what level of AGI does the stimulus payment phase out?

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
6/3/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

The stimulus payment -- both the basic component and the additional funds for qualifying children -- begins to phase out for individuals with adjusted gross incomes (AGI) over $75,000 and married couples who file a joint return with AGI over $150,000. The combined payment is reduced by 5 percent of the income above the AGI thresholds.

Here are two examples of how the phase out works:

• An individual with AGI of $80,000 and federal income tax liability in excess of $600 would qualify for a basic rebate of $600. Because this individual's AGI exceeds $75,000, however, her rebate is reduced by $250 (the credit is reduced by multiplying the amount of AGI over $75,000 by 5%). The taxpayer receives an economic stimulus payment of $350.
  • A married couple with two children, AGI of $160,000 and federal income tax liability before the child tax credit exceeding $1,200 qualifies for a basic rebate of $1,200 and an additional qualifying child credit of $600 for a total rebate of $1,800. But because the couple's AGI exceeds $150,000, their rebate is reduced by $500 (the amount of AGI over $150,000 multiplied by 5%). The couple receives an economic stimulus payment of $1,300.

If you found this answer helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question.

This information should have been available without any charge

I'm sorryCustomer

Is there something I missed in your question that I can still help you with? I thought I was giving you the information you requested, but if not, please tell me what you need to know and I will try to help.

Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant