How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband recently received a settlement from his ...

Resolved Question:

My husband recently received a settlement from his long term disability insurance company, The Hartford. Federal and state taxes were not deducted from this check. Is there a way we can prepay the federal and state taxes to the government?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.


Yes, you may prepay federal taxes by filing Form 1040ES with the IRS which is used for estimated tax payments. Estimated taxes are generally filed by self employed individuals who have no tax withheld from their checks, or by anyone who receives an untaxed amount of money that they will need to report at the end of the year. These estimated payments are generally filed quarterly. The date for the first quarterly filing has already passed, however, you can simply make payments for the remaining three quarters.

I am giving you a link to Form 1040ES with the instructions for using the form.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the question and have a great day.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you