Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Are purchases from GOODWILL Thrift Stores, Salvation ...

Customer Question
Are purchases from GOODWILL Thrift...
Are purchases from GOODWILL Thrift Stores, Salvation Army & Hospice Thrift Stores Tax Deductable? Purchases made from this stores are not taxed and I am wondering if purchases are then treated as donations? We like to find Fine Bone China to add to our collection & we make these types of purchases often.                    Thank you for your input. Stan [email protected]
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
6/3/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Purchases from thrift stores are not tax deductible unless you pay over fair market values for the items and you get a receipt stating the amount as a donation to the organization.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
These stores price the merchandise so would that be considered fair market value and I do get a receipt. But it does not use the wording of donation.
You would have to get the store to write on the receipt how much is a donation and how much for the item purchases.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent