Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax options for Go Zone real estate investing

Customer Question
I an not a real...
I an not a real estate professional or developer. So, I am told that I may not qualify for the 50% depreciation available to real estate professionals for investments in Go Zone real estate.
If I were to set up an LLC entity as the official owner of the property and dedicate the LLC to real estate only (only 2 units initially),
would I then qualify for the 50% depreciation on Go Zone property? Thanks. Ophelia
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
6/3/2008
Tax Professional: jgordosea, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

The issue is not the entity or form of organization or qualifying as a real estate professional. One of the requirements to be GO Zone property is that the property is in the active conduct of a trade or business by the taxpayer in the GO Zone. Rental property that is not a triple net lease can qualify for the additional bonus depreciation.

Another requirement is that the original use of the property commences with the taxpayer in the GO Zone. That is, it must be newly built property that was not used by another taxpayer.

Notice 2006-77 has information on GO Zone Bonus Depreciation, including examples of an active trade or business:

Examples. The following examples illustrate the provisions of section 3.02 of this notice.

(a) Example 1. During 2006, MNO, a limited liability company, constructs and places in service a new apartment building in the GO Zone. MNO is treated as a partnership for federal tax purposes. B, a member in MNO, manages and operates this apartment building for MNO. Because B manages and operates the apartment building for MNO, MNO meaningfully participates in the management and operations of the apartment building. Consequently, all of the use of the apartment building is in the GO Zone and in the active conduct of a trade or business by MNO in the GO Zone. Accordingly, the unadjusted depreciable basis (as defined in § 1.168(b)-1T(a)(3)) of the apartment building qualifies for the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction (assuming all other requirements are met). However, limitation provisions of the Code (for example, § 469) apply and may limit the amount of the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction that may be claimed by the members of MNO.

(b) Example 2. During 2006, C, an individual, places in service a new restaurant in the GO Zone and employs D to operate it. During 2006, C periodically met with D to review operations relating to the restaurant. C also approved the restaurant's budget for 2006 that was prepared by D. D performs all the necessary operating functions, including hiring chefs, acquiring the necessary food and restaurant supplies, and writing the checks to pay all bills and the chefs' salaries. Based on these facts and circumstances, C meaningfully participates in the management of the restaurant. Consequently, all of the use of the restaurant is in the GO Zone and in the active conduct of a trade or business by C in the GO Zone. Accordingly, the unadjusted depreciable basis of the restaurant qualifies for the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction (assuming all other requirements are met). However, limitation provisions of the Code (for example, § 469) apply and may limit the amount of the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction that may be claimed by C.

(c) Example 3. During 2006, PRS, a partnership, constructs and places in service a new small commercial building in the GO Zone and leases it to E, an unrelated party, who uses the building as a fast food restaurant. This building is the only property owned by PRS. The lease agreement between PRS and E is a triple net lease under which E is responsible for all of the costs relating to the building (for example, paying all taxes, insurance, and maintenance expenses) in addition to paying rent. Because of the triple net lease, PRS does not meaningfully participate in the management or operations of the building and the building is not used in the active conduct of a trade or business by PRS in the GO Zone. Accordingly, the building does not qualify for the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction.

(d) Example 4. Same facts as Example 3, except that PRS, during 2006, constructs and places in service two other new commercial buildings in the GO Zone and leases these buildings to F, an unrelated party, who uses the two other buildings as office space. The lease agreement between PRS and F is not a triple net lease. G, a partner in PRS, manages and operates the two office buildings for PRS. Because G manages and operates the two office buildings for PRS, PRS meaningfully participates in the management and operations of the two office buildings. Consequently, these two office buildings are used in the active conduct of a trade or business by PRS in the GO Zone. Accordingly, the total unadjusted depreciable basis of the two office buildings leased to F qualifies for the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction (assuming all other requirements are met). However, limitation provisions of the Code (for example, § 469) apply and may limit the amount of the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction that may be claimed by the partners of PRS with respect to the two buildings leased to F. Further, because the requirements of § 1400N(d)(2)(A)(ii) apply on a property-by-property basis, the building leased to E does not qualify for the GO Zone additional first year depreciation deduction, as provided in Example 3.

So, yes, as in example 1, a partnership (or LLC) with a member that manges the property can claim GO Zone bonus depreciation.

I hope this helps understand the active trade or business requirement.

Best wishes.

jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent