How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do we recoup the monies that the telephone, ...

Resolved Question:

How do we recoup the monies that the telephone, cell phone, electric, cable, satellite and others place on our bills as some regulated and unregulated sales tax? Do we keep the receipts/bills and at the end of the year have it taken off our taxes with the IRS? In essences, it seems that we are having taxation without representation all over again. Thanks in advance, Re in Palm Bay, FL.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.


Sales taxes that you pay are only deductible on your tax return if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A. If you file a Form 1040, and itemize deductions on Schedule A, you have the option of claiming either state and local income taxes or state and local sales taxes. (You can't claim both.) If you saved your receipts throughout the year, you can add up the total amount of sales taxes you actually paid and claim that amount.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question.

Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you