Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

the irs conducted a mail correspondence examination (audit)

Customer Question
of my 2006 Form 1040...
the irs conducted a mail correspondence examination (audit) of my 2006 Form 1040, and after 5 monhts and several issues/questions dealt with, sent a letter 3581 commonly referred to as a "No Change Letter." can the irs subsequently conduct another examination (audit) of this same 2006 Form 1040, or is the case closed?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
6/2/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

Once the year being examined is "closed" (examination is complete and any adjustments made) that same year cannot be reopened.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Reply to Merlo's Post: so just to verify, if i received an irs letter 3581 (no change letter) for 2006 form 1040 following an examination of that return by the irs office in atlanta, then the irs office in austin cannot open an examination of that same 2006 form 1040. is that correct?

Hello againCustomer

That is correct. Once you receive the no change letter, you cannot be audited again for that same tax year by any IRS office.

If this has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Thanks again for the question.

Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant