Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband stayed in a motel in St. Joseph, Missouri for 84 ...

Customer Question
My husband stayed in a...
My husband stayed in a motel in St. Joseph, Missouri for 84 nights in 2004. Can he refunded the tax he paid for the motel room for all days (nights) exceeding 30 nights?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
6/2/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

In the state of Missouri, Individuals who contract in advance for stays of 30 or more consecutive days in a hotel are considered to be permanent residents and there is no sales tax due on the room charges. If a contract was not signed in advance or if your husband did not indicate on his registration card that he intended to stay for 30 days or more, then sales tax would apply to his room charges. If you have a copy of such a contract, you should contact the home office of the hotel in question to request a refund of any sales tax paid.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question and for using justanswer.com.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant