How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband stayed in a motel in St. Joseph, Missouri for 84 ...

Resolved Question:

My husband stayed in a motel in St. Joseph, Missouri for 84 nights in 2004. Can he refunded the tax he paid for the motel room for all days (nights) exceeding 30 nights?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

In the state of Missouri, Individuals who contract in advance for stays of 30 or more consecutive days in a hotel are considered to be permanent residents and there is no sales tax due on the room charges. If a contract was not signed in advance or if your husband did not indicate on his registration card that he intended to stay for 30 days or more, then sales tax would apply to his room charges. If you have a copy of such a contract, you should contact the home office of the hotel in question to request a refund of any sales tax paid.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question and for using

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you