How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file a change to last years 2007 Federal Tax Return.

This answer was rated:

No Comment Added

You will need to file a Form 1040X (Amended U.S. Individual Tax Return) with the corrected information. I am giving you two links below -- one link is to the Form 1040X itself and the other link is to the instructions for the form. The form is pretty simple to fill out, so you should have no problems, but if you do, come back and let us help you.

If you found this answer helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question.


Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you


Thank you for using justanswer. Merlo is absolutely correct. You need to file Form 1040X (Rev. November 2007) Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You will also need to fill out a corrected 2007 Form 1040 (Schedule C) Profit or Loss From Business. There is no actual "Corrected Schedule C" , you just fill another Schedule C and another 2007 Form 1040 (Schedule SE)Self-Employment Tax if applicable, and you attach these forms with the changes on them to your 1040X.

I hope this helps you.

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated

Hello againCustomer

Yes, Anne is correct. In addition to filing out Form 1040X, you will also need to attached a corrected Schedule C and also a corrected Schedule SE if it applies. I just assumed you would see that information in the first paragraph of the instructions which I gave you a link to. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again.