How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Brit about to spend up to 7 months a year ...

Resolved Question:

I am a Brit about to spend up to 7 months a year on a US tourist visa living (not working) in my home in Nevada. Will I have to pay US taxes on investment income?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


As a visitor, your residence does not change due to the temporary absence from your resident country.

Your filing requirement as a nonresident alien does not change. If you previously had to file for income that is effectively connected to the United States you still have to file fro that income. If you had no prior filing requirement, that does not change by virtue of visiting the United States.

For more details see Taxation of Nonresident Aliens

I hope this helps clarify that visiting does not change investments subject to US income tax.

Enjoy your visit!

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you