Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

There is a California or federal law that prohibits state ...

There is a California or...
There is a California or federal law that prohibits state employees from viewing confidential federal tax information (like a tax return)unless the employee is authorized by the agency and has a need to know. Violation is a felony. What is the statute of limitations for such an offense.
6/1/2008
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello Orion69,

The law that you are referring to is a federal law that prohibits IRS employees from accessing the tax return of anyone, unless the taxpayer has written in with a request for information. There is no statute of limitations for prosecuting these types of offenses. In fact, Congress is currently trying to increase the fines and penalties associated with these types of offenses by IRS employees.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant