How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am being audited by the irs. what should i do

Customer Question

they want to take my bank account
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.


Are you indebted to them for past taxes? Is this for a personal tax return or business tax return?

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

If you owe back taxes to the IRS they are allowed to do a number of things to collect that money, including putting a tax levy on your bank account. BUT you do have some options for help get relief. If the amount you owe them is substantial and you cannot afford to pay them in full, you can try submitting an Offer in Compromise to reduce the amount you owe them. You can also try to negotiate a short term deferral until you can afford to pay them and you can also try to negotiate an installment payment plan so that you can pay your taxes over a longer period of time instead of all at once.

Your best bet at this point would be to consult a tax attorney as soon as possible who can help you with these options, and try to get the levy lifted from your bank account while trying to negotiate with them.

If this answer has been helpful, please press the "accept" button. Postive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for coming to us with your question.