How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We filed an amended Ohio State tax form and made ...

Resolved Question:

We filed an amended Ohio State tax form and made payment of the balance due. The state in turn refunded the balance that our amended tax said was due and now a year later wants to collect saying we are past due. Do I have any rights to decline payment since they apparently errored in refunding the amended balance back to us?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.


Unfortunately the old saying - "you can't fight city hall" - really applies in this case. I can only assume that when the state refunded your payment, they had still not processed your amended return and were still basing your taxes on the original return that you submitted. In any case, even though they were somewhat negligent in delaying the process of your return, you are still liable for the taxes. However, you certainly should not be liable for any penalty for late filing or late payment, and it sounds like you have the paper trail to back up the fact that you did originally pay this when it was due.

If this answer has been helpful to you, please press the "accept" button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question and have a great day.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions