How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what is tax imlication in transferring a portion ...

Customer Question

what is tax imlication in transferring a portion of your residence to you child who lives in the same property through a "grand transfer of tilte deed"
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.


If the value of the transfer exceeds$12K ($24K if married) a gift tax return will need to be filed. There will be no gift tax to pay unless total taxable gifts exceed $1million.

Upon death, only the portion owned by the decedent would receive a step up in basis to fair market value as of date of death.