How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left a job and received payment for annual leave. 2 years ...

Resolved Question:

I left a job and received payment for annual leave. 2 years later, I was told that this was calculated wrong and I paid it back during 2007. I received a W3C, but I don''t know where to file this on my return.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


Indeed you make the adjustment in the year it is paid back.

If the repayment was $3,000 or less, it is deducted on 2007 Form 1040 Schedules A as a miscellaneous itemized deduction line 22. The total miscellaneous itemized deductions must be more than 2% of your adjusted gross income. .

If the repayment was more than $3,000 either deduct the total amount you repaid as a miscellaneous itemized deduction not subject to 2% on line 28 of Schedule A, or you may compute a tax credit for the year of repayment, 2007. The credit is the difference in the tax you paid on the income and the amount you would have paid if the income was not included on your tax return in the prior year.

I hope this helps for claiming the repayment of your income.

Best regards.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you