Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I wil be receiving Money from a foreign estate, where ...

Customer Question
I will be receiving Money...
I will be receiving Money from a foreign estate, where no US Estate Tax has been paid. I assume that I will have to pay an Inheritance Tax. Is this correct and what would be the percent?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
5/3/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

Assuming that the person from the foreign country who left you this money was not a U.S. Citizen, then no US estate taxes would need to be paid.

Technically, there is no inheritance tax With an inheritance tax, your heirs pay a tax on the amount they receive. In today's world, the IRS gets their money before the heirs ever get their hands on it via the estate tax. In other words, the money being left to them is not being taxed twice. You would, of course, be subject to paying taxes on any income that you receive in the future as a result of this money being left to you (interest, gains on sale of stock, etc.)

If you found this answer helpful, please press the "accept" button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant