How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29768
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived in New York State for the year 2006. I moved back ...

Customer Question

I lived in New York State for the year 2006. I moved back to CT at the end of 2006. I have never worked nor lived in New York for 2007, but they were taking taxes out of my check. When I filed to get the money back, they hit me up with a 5 thousand dollar bill, can I dispute this? I found out that apparently my address change request did not take effect until the following January. When I called them about this. They told me to file to get the money back. instead I got a bill. Help!!
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What was the reason New York State Department of Taxation and Finance provided while refusing your refund?
-Did they state that you was a resident on NY?
-Why did your employer withhold NY taxes?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I checked online and it did not give me a valid reason. It just gave me a consolidated statement of tax liabilities. It says my personal income was taxed. But I have never worked in New York, even when I did live there in 2006. I have always worked in Stamford, CT. My income never stemmed from New York sources. It did not state that I was a resident. When I talked with Human Resources, my administrator never sent my address change request, I had to do it myself in late February of 2007. That is why I assume I was still taxed. In any event I spoke with NYS representative and I was told to file to get the money back, but instead i got a bill.
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

Please verify your W2 form issued by your employer - does it reported your income taxable in NY - lines 15, 16,17?

Does your W2 form reports your income as taxable in CT also?

If you filed CT income tax - I suggest you to mail a copy of that return to NY as a proof that you did not have was not a resident of NY.

Do you have NY driver's license? Do you own any property in NY?

I would suggest also to contact NY DOT and find out the exact reason your claim for refund was rejected -

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LEV's Post: I think my income was taxed because my request for change of address from ny to ct did not go through to human resources until february, so I ny was still taking money out of my check. I have a ct driver's license and I own no property in new york. In 2006, I lived with my boyfriend, whom I share a child with, in new york. I moved back to CT at the end of 2006. I think, because of the delay with address changes not taking effect til the very beginning of next year. Would the delay still mean I have to pay taxes, even though I did not live nor work in new york>I lived with relatives from nov/dec2006 until april 2008. I know have a have a home in ct since april 2008.
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

Dear Rhonda,

Based on information given - you are not responsible for NY income tax.

As you do not know the actual reason why NY DOT rejected your tax return and denied your refund of NY income taxes - your first step would be to clarify that issue.

In such situation - I would sent the letter asking for clarification and to reconsider their decision. Please attach a copy of your CT tax return, copy of CT driver's license, letter from your employer that states your workplace is in CT, etc.

I hope you will be able to resolved your issue.

If they would still deny your claim - you likely will need a local CPA or Enroll Agent to represent you.