How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How many days in a year (out of 365) establishes residency ...

Customer Question

How many days in a year (out of 365) establishes residency in a state? i.e. I live in state A, and I move to State B. If I move there before July 1, do I become a resident (for tax purposes) of state B?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

Hello Devo88,

Each state has different rules for establishing residency, so it would depend on what state you are talking about. However, for tax purposes, generally you will pay state taxes to any state where you earned income, regardless of where you lived when it was earned.

If this answer has been helpful, please press the "accept" button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question and have a great day.