Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i was an owner operator truck driver in 07, in dec 07 truck ...

Customer Question
i was an owner operator...
i was an owner operator truck driver in 07, in dec 07 truck was placed out of service, I am unable to repair. i filed an extension for 07. I am wondering if I can write this off on scedule C. and would it be for the value of the truck when I took it out of service?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. What year was the truck place in service? Was there any depreciation on the truck?
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: it was placed in service 2001 and yes depreation was used
If it was place in service on 2001 was deprecation used for the next 5 years? How much did the truck cost? You might have depreciated the full cost of the truck.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: the truck was leased purchased new in 01, for $98,000 ( $473.27 a week for 5 yrs) here are the deprecations for the yrs
$7,760 for 06
$17,670 for 05
$11,165 for 04
$9,685 in 03
$9,185 in 02
$27,556 in 01 had a diffrent truck also in this year that was traded in for one in question.
so if i depreciated the value of truck already, i cannot write it off right? and if i could can i just put it on part V of sced. C other expenses? but i think i understand now, since I already depreciated it so much, its just my loss right?
If you depreciated the truck completely from 2001 to 2006 , the truck cost have been deducted. You cannot write the cost of the truck off twice.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent