How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just started on disability through work and are I'm ...

Customer Question

I just started on disability through work and are I'm also a caregiver of someone with dementia are ther any tax credits or help?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.


If the disability plan that you have through your employer is a fringe benefit where your employer pays the premiums for the disability insurance, then any disability payments you receive are taxable as regular income. Typically, most disability payments will only withhold social security taxes, so you should probably set aside money to cover federal and state taxes that you will owe at the end of the year. There are no tax benefits available to you at this point for being on disability through your work. Sorry.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you