How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A couple I know divorced and it was official before the end ...

Resolved Question:

A couple I know divorced and it was official before the end of the year of 2007. They had a business together set up only as a DBA in Texas. In the divorce decree the wife was awarded the business and was ordered to pay all taxes and take care of all filings; the business no longer exists because she sold everything. But how is that supposed to affect the way the taxes are filed for 2007? Does she file on her own or does she still need to have his name on the filings? And how does he do his end?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

Since you have indicated that the divorce was final before the end of the 2007 calendar year, and the divorce decree specifically stated that the wife was responsible for all filings and all taxes on the business, then for the calendar year of 2007 the wife will file on her own as single (or head of household if it applies) and his name will not be on the return. The husband will do the same.

If this answer has been helpful, please press the "Accept" button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question and have a great day.

Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you