How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lou Your Own Question
Lou, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 404
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Childs survivor benefits taxable

Customer Question

My child receives survivor benefits due to his father's death last April. (We were divorced) Both of our names are XXXXX XXXXX benefit checks. How much of this do I need to report as taxable income? (I have not received a SSA 1099 from SSA, and just now realized this a little late).
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 9 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. We appreciate the opportunity to beof service to you.

If the only income you received was from SS then there most likdely will not be tax due on it:

Here is an excerpt from the IRS FAQ about survivor benefits:

Are social security survivor benefits for children considered taxable income?

The person who has the legal right to receive the benefits must determine whether the benefits are taxable. For example, if you and your child receive benefits, but the check for your child is made out in your name, you must use only your part of the benefits to see whether any benefits are taxable to you. The amount of income tax that your child must pay on that part of the benefits that belong to your child depends on the total amount of income and benefits for the taxable year. Refer to Publication 915 and Tax Topic 423, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits.

Here is a link to IRS Publication 915 that has worksheets to help you determine if and how much is taxable.

I find it curious that you did not recieve an SSA-1099. I would call the IRS 1(800)(NNN) NNN-NNNNand Social Security to try and find out why you did not get one.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further questions let me know.