Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is selling privite equity golf membership a capital loss

Purchased 1/350 undivided interest...
Purchased 1/350 undivided interest in private equity golf facility in 1988 for $37,500. Sold membership in 08 for $12,500. Do I have a $25,000 capital loss to report?
4/7/2008
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

I need you to clarify the charachter of the transaction.

You state first that you had a 1/350th undivided interest in the private equity golf facility; but then you say you sold a membership.

Which is it? did you own a share or was it a membership.

How can you tell the difference. A share would result in your sharing in profits, losses, of the business or being paid dividends, etc.

Tell me more about the relatinship and the shares?

The "interest" is in a private golf course owned by individual members (set at 350 members)and referred to as an equity golf club. The value of an equity membership changes each month based on what a departing member is willing to sell his interest for and that a buyer is willing to buy it. A private equity membership share has flucturated in value from $85,000 to $5,000. We are assessed pro-rata to finance operations when deficits occur. If the golf club facility was sold to a purchasing entity -the sales price would be divided by 350 and each owner would get his pro-rata amount. The cost to play is a separate $1000 per month. Hope this helps...

DearCustomer

Since these operate as privately held shares and are negotiable, then there can be a capitall gain or loss.

use schedule D to determine capital gains and losses.

You can not take a marke value decline as a loss.

You realize the gain or loss based ont he capital gains formula at the time you sell your share.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer