How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The only income I got last year was L&I. What do I

This answer was rated:

The only income I got last year was L&I. What do I file it as? I can''t find any mention of it in any of the tax booklets so how can I even try for the new tax refund?!
What is L&I?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Washington Department of Labor and Industries timeloss benefits for on the job injuries
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Forgot to add state. It's Washington State Dept. of Labor and Industries. Don't know if it helps but I was injured on the job and was told L&I is not a taxable income. However, people are required to file their taxes to be eligible for the new 2008 tax help. I'm hoping you may be able to help me. I don't know where to put the numbers on my income tax return. There is no form that L&I sends to let me know if I even need to claim the benefits or not.

Yes, if this is compensation paid to you as a result of physical injury than this is not taxable.

You may want to file a form as discussed in the link below. From a plain reading of the rules it does not seem that you will qualify for the rebate. But it is worth a try,



Let me know if you have any question.


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you